Welcome to the Cru Leader Development website
To make your visit to the site as valuable and time-efficient as possible, we have detailed all the key things you might want to know in one place – right here. The bullet points below will take you through the Cru approach and impact from A to Z. If you want to find out more about our approach, who we are, what we think and what clients say, please explore the other pages. Or contact us for a no obligation conversation.
Cru exists for just one thing…
- to support leaders in adapting and growing so they can achieve their most challenging commercial and leadership goals and add value to their organisation
Cru is particularly relevant when…
- commercially – you are leading in a situation that is high stakes AND is a situation that you, and those around you, have not successfully faced before. You need to find a new way to approach this situation.
- personally – you are under increasing pressure to adapt your style as a leader, but however much you try to be different, nothing seems to work. You have a leadership Achilles Heal that needs addressing through a fresh approach.
- organisationally – you realise that unacknowledged and unexplored barriers to success may be holding your leaders back
- developmentally – you know that the external talent pool is too small or too expensive. The best option is to grow the talent you have by focusing on the deeper developmental needs your leaders face as individuals.
Why is Cru most relevant in these specific situations?
Leaders face two types of challenges:
- Technical challenges – where the problem is known and the solution is known. These challenges can be daunting, but leaders are equipped to address them.
- Adaptive challenges – where the problem is not fully known and requires learning AND where the solution is not fully known and also requires learning. All the situations above require leaders to “do differently” and “think differently” from how they are used to doing and thinking. Often, the situation is more complex than the leader’s current thinking and experience and they can feel “in over their heads”.
Cru works with leaders solely on their adaptive challenges. Find out what an “adaptive challenge” look like in practice here.
The Cru Approach
How the Cru approach provides support …
Step 1 – Improvement Goal
We work one-on-one with a leader to help them clearly define what they most need to get better at if they are to achieve their organisational or leadership challenge.
Step 2 – Uncovering the Unacknowledged Blocker to Progress
At the heart of an adaptive challenge is an unacknowledged blocker that is holding the leader back. Since progress can only be made if the blocker is addressed, we next support the leader in moving the blocker from the unconscious mind into the open, where it can be seen and worked with.
The Cru approach to surfacing the unacknowledged blocker is tried-and-tested, highly practical, tangible and focused. Having worked on our own blockers, we know that it can seem daunting and even scary but the way we work means that leaders find it a safe process and are able to fully engage.
Step 3 – Coaching to Over-Turn the Unacknowledged Blocker
Once we know what the blocker to achieving the Improvement Goal is, we can start on a journey of coaching which results in the leader becoming released from the grip of the Unacknowledged Blocker that has been holding them back. The leader goes on a journey of growth in which they 1) start to question and adapt their mind-set more effectively to the challenge 2) grow as a leader by making safe experiments and integrating what they learn about themselves and the situation 3) by developing a more empowered mind-set and greater ability to process and balance the complexities of the challenge, they make decisions and behave in new and more effective ways.